Monday, July 5, 2010

Draw! Challenge #4: Yoko-On!


Yoko-On!

So I'm gonna be straight up, I chose this weeks topic because I wanted to draw Yoko. Yoko is a character from Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan. She's fun with a bit of sass. I dressed her up as Yui from K-On! by giving her Yui's hairpins school uniform and sweet guitar. I wanted an 'in your face' pic which I think I pulled off well enough. I thought about having her wear the jacket, but though it might look a bit weird with her neck~thing.. (it's not a scarf, it has a zipper!) but I still wanted the jacket in there, so I thought it'd be cool if she was tossing it aside.

So I spent a LOT of time getting the perspective, kudos to Steve for some tips. My line work carried over pretty good from last week, but I really think I upped my coloring. Used some neat brushes to get some of the textures and tried hard to stick with the real colors. I'm not a big fan of how they do her hair highlights but wanted to stay true to the 'copy' nature of this exercise. I think one of my favorite parts of this pic is the warm colors esp the ones coming from the floor. I wanted to give it that sundown in the school feel that you get from K-On! sometimes.

Well, with this I'm starting to feel near my peek; hopefully I can practice this strategy a bit more and see where I can grow from there.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, once again, yours blows mine right out of the water. I gotta up my game even more. Thankfully I can do cleaner lines, and that colouring technique you helped me out with is a big help! I'll have to try really hard this week.

    ReplyDelete